Nutella Café Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

Nutella Café Review

Alison Pfaff, Head Photo Editor

Located at 189 N. Michigan Ave. in Chicago, the Nutella Café has lived up to its hype. Since its opening in 2017, I have wanted to check out the cafe centered around the popular chocolate hazelnut spread. A few weeks ago, I was finally able to see what all the fuss was about.

It is an easy building to spot, with a bright red sign above the door with the Nutella logo. The cafe serves an array of pastries, such as breakfast items like oatmeal, crepes, pancakes, waffles, Nutella-filled croissants, gelato, paninis and various coffee drinks. Everything was neatly displayed in a pastry case, but after walking 6 miles at this point and wandering, I was desperate for any type of food.

Upon waiting in a line of about seven people in front of us, we finally were able to place the order. It was a decision to pick from the big menu, but I finally settled on a Caprese panini, which is a sandwich with tomato, mozzarella and basil.

As simple as it is, the sandwich was worth it to me, as it was a decent size for the price, even if it wasn’t Nutella related. I also had an iced vanilla latte with Nutella drizzle. My friend and I split a baguette with Nutella and hazelnuts on top, a lovely treat after a nice lunch.

Inside was a bit crowded and my friend and I were lucky to find a table inside. The place itself isn’t that big, but there is seating outside as well. I was given a number to put on the table and the food was brought to me. At first, I was given the wrong drink, but employees promptly fixed the error and gave me a new one.

While I was hoping to try things with Nutella, the prices for the food were pretty expensive for anyone on a college student budget. I remember cringing at the thought of paying $18 for a drink and a sandwich, but I think the drink was definitely the more expensive item for what it was. I guess that’s what I get for buying food on Michigan Avenue. While I wanted to try more things, I had to restrain from getting a bunch of delicious Nutella treats. While it was delicious, it was definitely more pricey.

Everything was just as I hoped it would be, but I will say, Nutella is extremely rich and eventually I couldn’t even finish the latte because of the drizzle overpowering the drink! It is a fun place to visit once in a while, If you’re a Nutella fan or a chocoholic like me, this is the place for you!