• Welcome to the Courier online!

• Follow us on Twitter: @CODCourier

• Follow us on Twitter: @CODCourier

‘Taking a knee’: We need to bring the controversy back to where it needs to be.

San Francisco 49ers' Colin Kaepernick (7) and Eric Reid (35) kneel during the national anthem before an NFL football game against the Carolina Panthers in Charlotte, N.C., Sunday, Sept. 18, 2016. (AP Photo/Mike McCarn)

AP

AP

With all of debate surrounding this issue, the real reason behind the protests have consequently been blurred. Attention needs to be brought back to the fact that players are protesting police brutality and social injustice towards black people.

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football, and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

These are the words of Colin Kaepernick, last year explaining why he decided to kneel during the anthem before a game. Kaepernick, a former quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers started the “take a knee” movement, which has been displayed by other players in the league ever since and has garnered its largest show of support after President Donald Trump criticized the protest and players who engage in it.

Many other players have spoken on the legitimacy of the protests. Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Doug Baldwin was quoted saying “If an American can’t air their grievances to the republic for which it stands, then where can they air their grievances? And when you have the president of our country basically saying, ‘I don’t want to hear your protest. I don’t want to hear your grievances,’ then I think that’s where we have the challenge.”

Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy also talked about why he and his team chose to lock arms instead of kneeling.

“I was proud of the players. They’ve put a lot of time and energy and thought into it. They’ve met. They’ve had a chance to discuss, each and every guy, to express his opinions. I think, like anything in life, you’re never going to have everybody feel 100% the same way, but it’s just something we talk about a lot as a football team. I always want to make sure that the why — why are we doing this — is explained. And you want them to have the opportunity to disagree… And I think this is an example of that. So the process that they’ve gone through, I’m proud of them. Their approach is one of a positive nature, and that’s definitely the preference. So, locking arms and honoring the flag I think is a very good thing.”

At the end of the day, these people aren’t just protesting for protesting’s sake, they’re doing it for a cause. That is where our attention should be. We should be careful not to drown out the reasoning behind all this, because the first step to fixing the problems being protested is acknowledging them, and that’s all these protesters are trying to do.  

4 Comments

4 Responses to “‘Taking a knee’: We need to bring the controversy back to where it needs to be.”

1. Joe on October 6th, 2017 12:47 pm

I’m all for this movement and the act of protesting inequality, but I am baffled that the same paper would publish an article praising a “man” like Milo Yiannapoulos while publishing an article like this one.

Seems like conflicting ideologies?

This is a good example of using free speech- to protest and bring light to issues that are otherwise ignored. Milo is using free speech to get people to attack Leslie Jones on twitter because she was in a movie that featured all female ghostbusters.

Carlos Reply:

Joe we appreciate your readership and I would just like to mention that this is a student publication where we want people of all backgrounds to be able to voice their opinions and report in their own particular style

Joe Reply:

I support that too and it’s why I like this paper. I think Kaepernick & co. set a great example of using free speech in a peaceful protest. I just feel as though I would be remiss if I didn’t speak my mind on the dangers of hate speech (particularly that from Milo Yiannopoulous).

Carlos Reply:

I don’t agree with much Milo has to say. In fact I agree with Milo on very little but the review was to illuminate the entertainment value of his book

• ‘Taking a knee’: We need to bring the controversy back to where it needs to be.

Opinion

Five Years Since Sandy Hook Marks Five Years of Congressional Inaction

Opinion

Christian baker vs gay couple case heard in Supreme Court

Opinion

Net Neutrality Repeal: The internet as we know it may be coming to an end

Opinion

COD commits itself to transparency after the HLC’s lifting of probation

Opinion

Bad News for Student Loan Borrowers

Opinion

Opinion: What it now means to be Latinx in the U.S.

Opinion

Meme-ingless Culture

Opinion

Pharmaceutical companies have played a large part in the opioid crisis sweeping the country

Opinion

Opinion: Late night TV in Trump’s America

Opinion

Why hooking up is actually pretty great