• Welcome to the Courier online!

• Follow us on Twitter: @CODCourier

• Follow us on Twitter: @CODCourier

Bears History with Drafting Quarterbacks Shows Watson as Best Option

Picasa 2.0

Picasa 2.0

Carlos Peterson, Sports Editor

The Chicago Bears franchise, while storied, has it’s share of demons, one glaring demon would be the quarterback position that has not seen a pro bowler since Jim McMahon in 1985. While McMahon was solid player in his own right, that’s nothing the organization should be writing home about. In the decades that have followed McMahon’s tenure in the Windy City, the Chicago Bears have had 32 different starting quarterbacks. That number will continue to rise if the Bears elect not to draft the uber talented Deshaun Watson out of Clemson in the upcoming NFL draft.

Dating back to his days at Gainesville High School in Gainesville, Georgia, Watson has shown the ability to elevate the play of the people around him when the moment gets larger. Being the first freshman to have ever started under his High School coach Bruce Miller, Watson was able to set numerous records during his four year career en route to being ranked the #1 quarterback prospect in the class of 2014. Garnering offers from the likes of Georgia, Ohio State, Southern California, as well as Clemson, Watson was a hot commodity amongst the top college ranks. Ultimately though he would choose to spend his college years in Clemson.

Standing a modest 6’ 2”, Watson was a constant in a Clemson program that hadn’t historically experienced the level of success that Watson would take them to. Being paired with Head Coach Dabo Sweeney, seemed to be a match made in heaven as Sweeney was viewed as an offensive guru. Posting unreal numbers, Watson was well on his way to superstardom. The next great challenge for Deshaun would rear its head in the Derrick Henry led Crimson Tide in National Championship, who were viewed as a defensive nightmare for many offensive coordinators across the country. In a battle of immensely talented programs, Alabama would come out on top after historically valiant effort from Watson, who had almost taken on the form of a super hero in the title game.

The Bears, not having a quarterback of that prowess in quite some time, should view Watson as a player that can elevate their franchise to new heights just as he has done everywhere he has been. In a rematch of the title game from 2016, Clemson came out flat against Alabama, only to have the performance of Watson elevate the team to a last second win for Clemson’s first national title in 35 years. The spectacular performance was abbreviated by the fact that it was done against a vaunted Nick Saban defense.

Ryan Pace, General Manager of the Chicago Bears, talks about having a leader at quarterback, someone who knows how to elevate those around him. Who better than the former All-American and National Champion, Deshaun Watson? The Bears have historically proven to be unable to get the quarterback position right, make things easier and pick the kid with uber talent and championship pedigree. The ball is in your court Chicago.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Bears History with Drafting Quarterbacks Shows Watson as Best Option”

1. Tim on April 26th, 2017 8:24 am

A national championship does not mean a college quarterback will become a great NFL quarterback. Here’s a list of the national-champion starting quarterbacks from this century:

2001 Miami Ken Dorsey
    2002 Ohio State Craig Krenzel
    2003 Southern California Matt Leinart
    2003 Louisiana State Matt Mauck
    2004 Southern California Matt Leinart
    2005 Texas Vince Young
    2006 Florida Chris Leak UD
    2007 Louisiana State Matt Flynn
    2008 Florida Tim Tebow
    2009 Alabama Greg McElroy
    2010 Auburn Cam Newton 1 CAR
    2011 Alabama A.J. McCarron
    2012 Alabama A.J. McCarron
    2013 Florida State Jameis Winston
    2014 Ohio State Cardale Jones
    2015 Alabama Jake Coker

Cam Newton is the only one on that list to have made it to a Super Bowl, which he lost to the Denver Broncos. Most of them had little to no success in the NFL. The point is you have to look at the individual, not his team, to find skills that will make him successful at the professional level.

Carlos Reply:

I completely understand where you’re coming from. My feeling with Watson was that he was a great leader for that program for the past 3 years and consistently elevated those around him in big moments. My plea id that the Bears should take their guy if they believe they have their guy and according to reports, Pace really likes Watson

• Bears History with Drafting Quarterbacks Shows Watson as Best Option

Features/Arts

Zlatka Burtis: turning the old into new

Showcase

Mitch Trubisky: Manifestation of Bears Dysfunction

Opinion

Failing Vision

Opinion

I am a loser.

Showcase

Catching Up with Softball’s Bailey Engel

Music

It Came from Bandcamp

Features/Arts

Marc Maron: A Show and Trip for the Ages

Showcase

Courier Mock Draft

Opinion

Free tuition is terrible

Features/Arts

Annual student art gallery opens at Cleve Carney