• Welcome to the Courier online!

• Follow us on Twitter: @CODCourier

• Follow us on Twitter: @CODCourier

Removal of Penn St. Board Member Lord Shows That Nothing Has been Learned

Carlos Peterson, Sports Editor

On November 5, 2011, former Penn State defensive coordinator, Jerry Sandusky, was charged with 40 counts of molesting 8 boys from 1994-2009, in a moment where time seemed to stand still. In the months that followed Sandusky was found guilty on 52 counts of child molestation and it became evident as more information came to light that people within the program knew of this happening but withheld the information from the proper authorities.

Joe Paterno the legendary Penn State football coach was found to be responsible for the negligence of children within his program that ultimately led to the trauma of 8 young boys. It was apparent in the situation that the legend of Joe Paterno would die with the indictment of Sandusky.

The biggest scandal that has ever reached the university athletic system surprisingly still elicits responses that leave people in shock. I myself am still appalled at the number of people ready to defend their false sense of honor that the Penn State program gave its constituents.

This past week Penn State trustee, Al Lord, when asked about the events that transpired only 5 years prior, wreaked of insensitivity and just little grasp of the gravity the situation had held. Referring to the survivors as “so called victims” and how he was “running out of patience” is just one of the many examples of how the NCAA fumbled the disciplinary action despite spending years trying to make examples out of what they deemed to  be morally reprehensible actions made by teenagers.

While the action taken by the NCAA seem disconcerting at the least some of the most disturbing comments come from the fanbase of Penn State. Perhaps after the harboring of a known sexual criminal in Sandusky, the general consensus should be that the statue built for Paterno shouldn’t be put up however the fanbase had different opinions. Going so far as to hold mass gatherings by the football stadium in protest against taking down the statue of the former Penn State football coach the question around the country became, “How can someone defend these men?”

The survivors of these egregious acts are finally able to receive the closure and justice they have been denied for over 20 years. While many things were done poorly in the reprimanding of Penn State and the comments made by Al Lord were disgusting, this can be used as a learning experience so that this may never happen again. When the power ends up in the hands of the few and people lack the perspective of an outside scope the human element is lost. Perhaps Mr. Lord can find that perspective when he decides to defer from having a second term.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Removal of Penn St. Board Member Lord Shows That Nothing Has been Learned”

1. bob on April 17th, 2017 1:00 pm

Apparently research and facts mean nothing in the Courier’s sports department.

Here’s a tip. Don’t write rambling op-eds about something you clearly haven’t taken the time to understand anything about.

[Reply]

2. Tom Girton on April 17th, 2017 3:12 pm

Carlos,

You are truly a misguided individual if you think Coach Paterno condoned the actions of Sandusky.
    You obviously never had to deal with rumors and backbiting among a staff.

The sting operation the police set up was a failure. The Freeh(should have been free) Report was a joke and not impartially done.

Coach Paterno was the maion fundraiser at PSU. Do you want to reimburse the Paterno family so you can take his name off the Library?

I think you need to move on,

[Reply]

3. Reality to the Rescue for Carlos on April 17th, 2017 5:49 pm

“Joe Paterno the legendary Penn State football coach was found to be responsible for the negligence of children…”

Paterno was found responsible? Based on what? The freeh report. It was discredited, as it was called his opinion. The only evidence supported claim was reported by paterno.

“The biggest scandal that has ever reached the university athletic system…”

It’s not even the largest in the last five years in football. That’s baylor. As for athletics, it’s not even close. That’s Larry Nassar at Michigan State.

“I myself am still appalled at the number of people ready to defend their false sense of honor…”

Maybe they feel the need to defend themselves when you reference incorrect and ignorant material like this, especially as you seem to blame everyone for it.

The biggest scandal ever, as you consider it, that lead to Sandusky convicted, nobody else in the football program even charged, and five years of investigation that could only muster enough evidence to get a loose one misdemeanor convictions that will lead to most likely no jail.

“Perhaps after the harboring of a known sexual criminal in Sandusky,….”

Who was convicted of harboring Sandusky?

The perspective that’s lost is you wanting to be an ethical crusader instead of doing actual research. You’d rather roll in warm fuzzies than do actual journalism. Al Lord called some of them “so-called” victims because of many that had changed their stories many times. Many also conveniently changed their stories from saying they weren’t molested to saying they were after the first settlement occurred. Prosecutors and police even doubt alleged victims.

http://www.csnphilly.com/ncaa/prosecutor-says-he-doesnt-believe-jerry-sandusky-accusers-claim

Where’s your article about the 55 women raped at Baylor football? Do you not care about women? Where’s your article about the cover up for 20 years of the 100+ children at Michigan State by Larry Nassar? Do you not care about female kids?

The reality is that by blaming Paterno (without any referenced actual evidence-supported claims existing against him, nor any charges filed or that would be filed now if he were alive) you are just looking for clicks and have a failed holier-than-thou feel to you.

You just went to an inferior school, and you’re mad that PSU grads brush you off for being the idiot you are in a public setting. This really says it all: “I myself am still appalled at the number of people ready to defend their false sense of honor that the Penn State program gave its constituents.”

This is just a lazy article from someone that wants to feel a sense of moral high-ground with people from Penn State, so he gets angry when PSU grads don’t apologize to him and are proud they went to a great school and he didn’t.

Nobody from PSU owes you or anyone an apology, unless of course you blame all of every school for any criminal present. Your lack of Baylor or Michigan State articles shows you don’t.

[Reply]

4. CCP on April 18th, 2017 7:06 am

The author is grossly misinformed.

[Reply]

5. Chris on April 20th, 2017 11:19 am

Actually the author is 100 percent right. You JoePalagoists can’t accept your hero did something wrong

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Removal of Penn St. Board Member Lord Shows That Nothing Has been Learned

Showcase

Courier Mock Draft

Opinion

Free tuition is terrible

Features/Arts

Annual student art gallery opens at Cleve Carney

Features/Arts

Inside the No. 1 medical marijuana dispensary in Illinois

Showcase

Aaron Hernandez: Story of Disappointment not Tragedy

Showcase

Bears History with Drafting Quarterbacks Shows Watson as Best Option

Opinion

A Battle of Smoke and Mirrors

Showcase

Chaparrals Overcome Early Mistakes For Win

Features/Arts

Artist Amanda Williams transforms the South Side through color: Award-winning artist to round-up COD’s spring Visiting Artist series

Opinion

Death to the “Fight for $15”